If I’m going to do the seasonal posts thing I might as well go the whole hog and try to look forward to 2010. Right now I do not have any sekrit projekts, which is probably just as well after last year. A little consolidation is probably required.
My main priority for the year will be to get the translation awards safely off the ground, and hopefully into the hands of a large and enthusiastic group of people who will carry them through far into the future.
I’ll also be putting a fair amount of effort into chasing articles for Clarkesworld because it has become obvious over the past year that even paying 10c/word is not enough to encourage people to write non-fiction. I’m actually going to have to hold a few folks down and beat them over the head with the money. You have been warned.
I want to work with Kevin and others to help get the Hugo Awards Logo widely used. The first book with the logo on the cover should be in bookstores in the USA this week. Here’s hoping for many more.
ConReporter.com was always intended as a stop gap that would show Worldcons what they could be doing. At some point they will start doing it all themselves, but I suspect that there will be a pretty large demand for reporting from Australia and we’ll be there if no one else is.
SF Awards Watch has been pretty badly neglected by me over the past year. I need to do a lot of work on it to get it into a state in which I can hand it over to other people if I’m unable to carry on doing it. I’m also hoping to use it to test a few ideas about how online conventions could run panels.
Of course I will be attending some conventions as well. Here is a preliminary schedule.
- P-Con, Dublin, Ireland – March 5-7
- ICFA, Orlando FL, USA – March 17-21
- Bristol ComicCon, Bristol, UK – May 23-23
- Imaginales, Epinal, France – May 27-30
- Finncon, Jyväskylä, Finland – July 16-18
- Au Contraire, Wellington, New Zealand – August 27-29
- Aussiecon 4 (Worldcon), Melbourne, Australia – September 2-6
- Gaylaxicon, Montréal, Canada – October
- BristolCon, Bristol, UK – November 6
- SMOFcon 28, San José, California – December 3-5
Update: convention list edited to include Bristol ComicCon.