My first guests on today’s show were Amy & Lu from One25. Amy explained why the women that One25 helps cannot simply stop doing sex work during the pandemic. Most of them don’t even have homes, let alone any other source of income. Lu then chimined in with details of this year’s fundraiser. I’m delighted to see that I’m now up to 78% of my initial target. What I’d love to see is us hitting 100% by launch time on Friday, and then I can set a new target for the 6 days of the campaign.
Next up was my new academic pal, Maria Gerolemou from the University of Exeter. Like me, Maria as a passion for ancient automata. Those of you who have heard my “Prehistory of Robotics” talk will have a good idea of what to expect. The rest of you, prepare to be astonished.
Finally I welcomed back Subitha from CASS to talk about two new mental health campaigns. You can find out more about the #SleepSoundBristol and #MentalHealthAwarenessWeek projects at the CASS website. And do please write in to tell them about someone who has been kind to you.
This week’s show also includes tributes to two tiny giants of the music business who sadly left us in the past week. They were Millie Small, who hit #2 on both sides of the Atlantic in 1964 with “My Boy Lollipop”, and Little Richard without whom the likes of Prince and Elton John would have been very different musicians.
The playlist for the show is as follows:
- My Boy Lollipop – Millie Small
- Street Life – Roxy Music
- Money Don’t Matter – Prince
- Sun Goddess – Ramsey Lewis & Earth, Wind & Fire
- Chrome Shoppe – Janelle Monáe
- Dance Apocalyptic – Janelle Monáe
- Dream within a Dream – Dreadzone
- Everyone’s a VIP to Someone – The Go! Team
- Long Tall Sally – Little Richard
- Good Golly Miss Molly – Little Richard
- Keep a Knockin’ – Little Richard
- Lucille – Little Richard
- Tutti Frutti – Little Richard
- The Girl Can’t Help It – Little Richard
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon – Little Richard
- House of the Ancestors – Afro Celt Sound System
You can hear the entire show via the Ujima Listen Again service. It will be up there for a few weeks.