No sooner had I managed to calm down after the David Letterman nonsense that I discover that it has become the fashion amongst left-wing Americans to “joke” about how Anne Coulter is “really” a man.
And then I saw this, in which Stephen Fry joins the ranks of gay men who demand our support when one of them gets attacked but is only too eager to dump on the trannys when the mood takes him because “everyone knows” that trannys are pathetic scum who deserve to be laughed at.
Let’s get this very clear, people.
1. Every time you make a joke about how someone born female is “really” a man you are reinforcing the idea that trans women are something shameful. It is like kids in a school yard yelling “spastic” at the current target of the bullies.
2. Every time you describe trans women as “deceptive” you are denying their gender identity and their right to live as they feel appropriate. You are also making it harder for them to get access to jobs, health care and so on. You are labeling them as inherently dishonest.
3. Every time you describe trans women as deceptive sexual predators you are reinforcing the myth that trans people only do what they do in order to satisfy perverted sexual desires.
4. Every time you advise men to be wary of being “deceived” by trans women you are providing support for the “trans panic” excuse for murdering trans women. This is no different from the “gay panic” defense for murdering gay people, which is still being used today.
5. Every time you attack trans people but actually only attack trans women you are reinforcing the idea that for a woman to want to live as a man is a natural and understandable ambition but for a man to want to live as a woman is somehow shameful and degrading.
Really, I’m all for having a sense of humor, but it is not necessary to be cruel in order to be funny. Humor should not depend on belittling someone other than yourself who you think is unable to fight back.