There was no radio show today, for reasons well beyond my control. This is a shame, because we had a great show reflecting on International Women’s Day planned, and I had put together a playlist of songs by women from around the world. As you can’t listen to it, I thought I might share the list with you here.
- Barbados – Rihanna, “Only Girl in the World”
- England/Pakistan – Bat for Lashes, “Horse and I”
- Benin – Angélique Kidjo, “Voodoo Chile”
- Australia – Merril Bainbridge, “Garden In My Room”
- Germany – Nena, “99 Red Balloons”
- Denmark – Savage Rose (Annisette Koppel), “Where Have All The Flowers Gone?”
- Wales – Cerys Matthews, “Awyrennau”
- USA – Diana Ross, “Theme From Mahogany”
Yeah, I was going to play a song in Welsh. That would have confused people.
Also I know nothing about music from most of Asia and South America. Feel free to enlighten me.