I was back on the radio after two weeks off today, and I must admit that it is getting hard to find guests for the show. People are either run ragged or thoroughly depressed by the state of the world. Fortunately I had done those two interviews with Nalo for the One25 fundraiser, and I knew hardly anyone had watched them, so I was happy to run those on the show.
Before I did that, I spent some time reflecting on the current situation in the USA. My thanks to Lyda for sharing her experiences of Minneapolis after the first night of rioting. I figured that things would have got worse by the time the show aired. I don’t think I had quite expected 45 to declare war on his own people.
The show also has some new music from Labi Siffre and from Lianne La Havas. It also has two songs each from the fabulous Canadian women that Nalo introduced me to. Measha’s Brueggergosman’s version of “Both sides now” is a thing of beauty.
Oh, and I played a song for Bozo.
If you missed the show you can catch it via the Listen Again service.
Here’s the playlist:
- Prince – When Doves Cry
- Lizzo – Like a Girl
- Bruce Springsteen – Streets of Fire
- Bob Marley – Revolution
- Gil Scott Heron – The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
- Janelle Monáe – Americans
- Andy Allo – When Angels Make Love
- Jimi Hendrix – Angel
- Measha Brueggergosman & Martin Short – Misty
- Shakura S’Aida – Brown Sugar
- Labbi Siffre – Why Isn’t Love Enough
- Lianne la Havas – Bittersweet
- Linda Ronstandt – Lies
- Measha Brueggergosman – Both Sides Now
- Shakura S’Aida – This is Not a Love Song
Here’s the song that I played for our abomination of a government. (The first one.)
If anyone has something they’d like to promote on next week’s show, please get in touch.