Today’s show was centred around a tribute to Aretha Franklin. I played a lot of her music, and I’m sure you are familiar with much of it.
I did run through the list of Hugo winners, because with several of the major fiction awards going to black women that’s very much of interest to my listeners. And I had a woman science fiction writer on the show. That was Anne Corlett whose novel, The Space Between the Stars, I very much enjoyed.
The Listen Again system malfunctioned again for that hour. Apparently it is some sort of BT issue. But we have the archived audio and I have podcast the interview with Anne so you can listen to it.
My second guest was slightly late due to Bristol traffic so I kicked off with coverage of the Women’s cricket. That included my interview with Raf Nicholson which I did between the two matches on Finals Day.
Then I spent a happy half an hour talking to Shauna Tohill of the all-girl rock band, REWS. She was lovely, and I love their music.
Also there was more Aretha.
You can listen to the second hour of the show here. I will podcast the interviews with Shauna & Raf in due course.
The playlist for today was:
- Aretha Franklin – Say a Little Prayer
- Rumer – Aretha
- Arthea Franklin – Eleanor Rigby
- Arthea Franklin – Bridge over Troubled Water
- Aretha Franklin – Rock Steady
- Whitney Houston – My Love is Your Love
- Tina Turner – One of the Living
- REWS – Shake Shake
- REWS – Miss You in the Dark
- Aretha Franklin – Respect
- Aretha Franklin – Spanish Harlem
- Aretha Franklin – Wholy Holy
And, thanks to the magic of YouTube, here are the two REWS tracks that I played.