During the recently concluded and absolutely enthralling test match between England and India, there was much talk of how Virat Kohli has inherited Sachin Tendulkar’s mantle as the best cricketer in the world. But it isn’t just men’s cricket in which India is producing star performers. The Western Storm’s latest recruit is India’s Smriti Mandhana. She’s played five games thus far, and this is her record:
- v Yorkshire Diamonds – 48 off 20 balls
- v Surrey Stars – 37 off 21 balls
- v Loughborough Lightning – 52 not out off 19 balls
- v Southern Vipers – 43 not out off 27 balls
- v Lancashire Thunder 102 off 61 balls
That’s an average of 94 runs per completed innings, and a strike rate of 190.54 — almost 2 runs per ball. Along the way she has hit 29 fours and 16 sixes.
That’s stunning. All I can say is that I hope that run of form continues all the way through to Finals Day.