The short list for this year’s Philip K Dick Award were announced last night. They are:
- The Book of Etta by Meg Elison (47North)
- Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty (Orbit)
- After the Flare by Deji Bryce Olukotun (The Unnamed Press)
- The Wrong Stars by Tim Pratt (Angry Robot)
- Revenger by Alastair Reynolds (Orbit)
- Bannerless by Carrie Vaughn (Mariner/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- All Systems Red by Martha Wells (Tor.com)
Of these, some have been submitted to the Tiptree jury so I can’t talk about them. Tim Pratt’s book has been getting a lot of love on social media and I’m looking forward to having the time to read it. Revenger is a lot of fun and I am impressed with how well Al has got the feel of Treasure Island into the book.
And then there is Murderbot, who is one of my all time favorite science fiction characters. All Systems Red is on my Hugo list for sure.
First prize and any special citations will be announced on Friday, March 30, 2018 at Norwescon 41 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Seattle Airport, SeaTac, Washington. This year’ Hugo finalists will be announced at the same convention.