The finalists for this year’s Prometheus Award, given to works of Libertarian science fiction, have been announced. Here they are:
- The Corporation Wars: Dissidence by Ken MacLeod (Orbit)
- The Corporation Wars: Insurgence, by Ken MacLeod (Orbit)
- The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047 by Lionel Shriver (HarperCollins)
- The Core of the Sun, by Johanna Sinisalo (translated by Lola Rogers) (Grove Press/Black Cat)
- Blade of p’Na, by L. Neil Smith (Phoenix Pick)
Ken, of course, is a familiar sight on Prometheus shortlists, despite his avowed Socialist leanings. Quite right too, because he does examine the issues very closely. Johanna’s book is straight up feminism, a tale of rebellion against oppressive Patriarchy. It is nice to see that getting recognized. I’m not familiar with the other two books, though Shiver is a Freeze Peach fundamentalist so it is not surprising to see her there.