Thanks to computers, it is no longer necessary for radio stations to have staff in over the holidays to do shows. Ujima is officially closed for the season, but it is not off-air. Many of us have pre-recorded shows to be broadcast over the holiday period, myself included.
Of course technology doesn’t always work as planned. Doubtless this is the early stages of the robot revolution. So my show didn’t pop up at noon as I was expecting. Thankfully there are a few dedicated staff able to pop in and sort things out. What appears to have happened is that my show and the following one, Steppin Raizer, got swapped around. So my show starts at 14:00 instead.
You can listen to the first hour here, and the second hour here. The content is all music. I was particularly interested in playing longer songs that I can’t use in full on a normal show. Here’s the playlist:
- Lianne La Havas – Unstoppable
- Big Audio Dynamite – E = MC2
- Donna Summer – MacArthur Park
- Daft Punk – Giorgio
- Dreadzone – Life, Love & Unity
- Koko Jones – Love Will Save the Day
- Michael Jackson – Thriller
- The Specials – Ghost Town
- Eddy Grant – Hello Africa
- Prince – Purple Rain
- Sade – Jezebel
- Janelle Monae – We Were Rock ‘n’ Roll
- Chic – Good Times
Next week’s show will also be all-music. I’ll be in Oxford.