A London in 2014 Progress Report dropped into my email last week. I haven’t read it yet, but Mike Glyer is much more on the ball and has noted the existence of a committee structure for the Worldcon (assuming it passes the formality of an uncontested bid in Chicago). The team has a refreshingly European feel to it:
- Eemeli Aro (Finland) is Division Head for Hospitality;
- James Bacon (Ireland) is Division Head for Programming;
- Nicholas Whyte (British but I believe resident in Brussels) is Division Head for Promotions;
- Kees Van Torn (Netherlands) is Division Head for Publications;
- Carolina Gómez Lagerlöf (Sweden) is Deputy Division Head for Services.
I note also that Farah Mendlesohn (Division Head for Exhibits) is Jewish, and Rita Medany (Division Head for Services) is (to my knowledge) the first POC to chair an Eastercon. Of course there are some Americans on the team as well, and quite a few people that Mitt Romney would recognize as British, but I’m pleased at the level of diversity on the team.